Today isn’t just any old Monday but is, in fact, the day people living in Sweden pay homage to that most chocolatey and calorific of desserts known as Kladdkaka!
Just why a pudding is given it’s very own day in the Gregorian calendar confuses me, but then if penguins* get their own day every year I supposes anything goes.
Kladdkaka is a chocolate heart-attack-in-waiting; a pudding often so loaded with cocoa that just looking at one means you might have to make another hole in your belt.
You will need:
100 g butter
200 g white chocolate
2 msk light syrup
0.5 dl sugar
1.5 dl flour
2 tsk vanilla sugar
1 krm salt
0.5 dl breadcrumbs (to coat the cake dish with)
What you do:
1. Heat the oven to 175 Degrees. Mix the flour, sugar, salt and vanilla sugar in a bowl.
2. Butter a cake tin (preferably one of the non-stick spring form ones around 24cm in diameter) and coat it with the breadcrumbs.
3. Melt the white chocolate in a glass bowl placed above boiling water and gently stir in the butter (also melted) the eggs and syrup. Do not whisk!
4. Quickly pour the butter-chocolate mix into the dry ingredients and stir gently.
5. Pour the mix into the cake tin and bake for 14-17 minutes.
6. Keep checking the cake. It’s done when it’s just set. Take the cake out of the oven and put it directly into the freezer for 20 minutes. (This will make it easier to cut and perfectly sticky).
7. Serve with lightly whipped cream and some fresh raspberries.
Of course a perfectly sticky Kladdkaka is the perfect excuse to crack open a beer that’s also overloaded with chocolatey flavours and aromas. Remember those bottles of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout I told you to hide away at the start of this year? Well now it’s time to bring one of them out of the cupboard as it has it cocoa clout to take on this most decadent of desserts.
If you didn’t buy one back in January (shame on you!) then you can always try Fuller’s Past Masters Double Stout, Thisted Limfjordsporter, BrewDog Rip Tide or Slottskällans Imperial Stout, to name but a few!
So happy Kladdkakens Dag everyone! If you find a perfect sticky chocolate cake and beer combo today then please tell us all about it in the comments below!
* And no, I didn’t mean those kind of Penguins!